Cirencester Property & Letting Management ...


What references will I need?
You’ll need to give details of your employer and income, previous address/es, some bank account details and character references. These will be checked to make sure you’re able to commit to the monthly rental payments.

What happens if there’s a problem with my references?
In some circumstances, a tenant may not be approved immediately via referencing. Obvious examples are students without a regular income, or someone leaving their family home for the first time with no renting history. In these situations we help, where possible, to find a suitable resolution – guarantors often avoid this. This is usually a parent or guardian who will agree to take joint responsibility for the rent if you fail to pay. Any guarantor will have to go through the same referencing procedures.

How does the Tenancy Agreement work?
An Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is usually initially drawn up for six or 12 months. If the property is being let as student accommodation this will be an 11-month term (typically 1 September to 31 July). This agreement will also outline your responsibilities as well as your landlord’s. Please read the contract carefully – we’re happy to answer any questions you have.

How much is my deposit?
A deposit is usually a minimum of one month’s rent and a maximum of six weeks’ rent, which needs to have been paid in cleared funds on the day you move in. The amount will be confirmed in the description of the property. (At time of writing this is currently £600 per person.)

Who holds my deposit?
For your safety and peace of mind, all deposits are held with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS).

Will there be an inventory of condition and contents?
We’ll do a complete inventory of the property and all fixtures, fittings and furnishings (if applicable) before you move in. We’ll give you a copy of this, and you have ten days from moving in to make any updates and return it to us. At the end of the tenancy, the property and contents will be checked against the inventory.

How do I pay my rent and when?
Set up a standing order with your bank to collect your rent and the first month’s rent is payable three days before the tenancy start date. After that, rent will be payable three days before the first of each month.

Who pays the utility bills?
Unless otherwise stated in the property description, you are liable for all utility bills, including gas, electric, water and council tax. It’s also your responsibility to obtain a TV Licence. Students in full-time education are eligible, upon completing an application form, to zero-rated council tax.

Do I need insurance?
The landlord will insure the property and contents. Even if the property is unfurnished, the landlord will need to take out contents insurance for carpets and curtains. While it’s not obligatory for you to have contents insurance, we do highly recommend you take out accidental damage cover, at the least.

Will you inspect the property during the tenancy?
We’ll carry out routine inspections on the landlord’s behalf, usually every three months (once per term if student accommodation), between 9am and 5pm. We’ll give you notice of an inspection in line with the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.

Who do I speak to if I have a problem?
Throughout your tenancy, we’re always on hand if you have any concerns or queries. We’ll work with your landlord to resolve any issues that arise promptly and with as little disruption to you as possible.

Can I keep a pet at the property?
Unless otherwise agreed, no pets of any kind are to be kept at any property.

If you have any questions about renting a property, please call us on 01285 898505 or email

We love our Leaf house!  Nothing was too much trouble and we are all extremely happy.  Our house is in a great location and we have asked to stay next year too!